Thursday, June 21, 2012

Exploring Wine: Comparing Vintages



Mouton Cadet, Bordeaux (blend, mostly Sauvignon Blanc), 2008 (no price, sorry!)
My rating for this bottle? I would drink the whole bottle.


Mouton Cadet, Bordeaux (blend, mostly Sauvignon Blanc), 2010, $10
My rating for this bottle? I would drink a few glasses.
Last weekend Gman and I drank the last bottle of white in the house on Friday night. I know, tragedy right? But it was so good. I mean so good. Honey, dried peaches, notes of citrus filled my nose and my palate with flavors of summer. It wasn't too sweet or too dry and had a medium body, sort of viscus on the sides of the glass and had some weight or texture in my mouth. We really enjoyed drinking it and were sad when the last drop was gone. We drank it as a meal, but I'd imagine it would pair nicely with some BBQ or s'mores (yes!).

So Saturday we swung by one of our local wine shops to stock up a bit. To our surprise we found the same brand wine but a different vintage, 2010 vs 2008. So we decided to do a little experiment to see if they were any different. Oenophiles always talk about how important vintage is and how each bottle, each year can be so different. I haven't given it much thought before so this was our chance to see if they were full of it.

So the 2010 was lighter in color as you can see in the photos above. The first sip (glass) was very tart. Too tart to really taste anything else. I couldn't tell if there were notes of anything because it was just sweet. We were shocked at how different it was. I guess oenophiles know what they are talking about! The second glass was better, smoother with a fresh citrus taste but no peach or honey. I enjoyed the lightness of this vintage once it opened up a bit and can also imagine drinking it with some summer BBQ, though nothing too heavy.

Mouton Cadet has a fun website. They suggest pairing their white with scallops or lobster. Can't argue with that!

So have you ever tried different vintages of the same wine? Did you have similar results? What did you discover?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...