Monday, April 13, 2015

Yoga with Baby

photo from my Instagram

I don't like sweating. I'm not super coordinated. I wouldn't consider myself outdoorsy or athletic. All of these things make it a challenge for me to pump myself up for regular exercise. For most of my 20s I lived in places where I walked everywhere and with some yoga or a run sprinkled in here and there I was able to get away with not having a daily workout routine.

Now not only do I have the baby weight to lose but I also want to get in better physical shape to stay healthy and keep up with my energetic little buddy. I bought a running stroller and started running with him, but my poor knees rebelled. It has been difficult to exercise at home with a baby climbing all over me.

A friend of mine recently posted on her blog about an online yoga studio based out of LA called YogaGlo. (Go check out her blog, Jenny Weigle and her post on the studio!) They have tons of classes focusing on exercise, meditation, whatever you might be looking for to develop your practice. As Jenny mentioned in her post, they have classes from 5 minutes to 90 minutes and it's only $18 a month. (Friends with new babies or expecting babies - they have several pre and post natal classes!)

This sounded really appealing to me. I also don't have a car or extra time or a sitter for Noah, so driving to a studio or gym locally hasn't been an option. On top of that, I've been practicing yoga for over 10 years but haven't ever gotten past a certain point so I always feel slightly defeated when trying to go to the next level. I started taking the classes about 20 days ago (free trial for 15 days!) and I have already noticed a huge difference in my practice. I am already much stronger physically and more centered and calm emotionally. Most days I've been able to do an hour class but if I am tired (teething nights!) or needing to spend my time otherwise, then I can take a 20 or 30 minute class and still feel like I got a workout in. Plus it is much less sweaty than running and so I can go right from my workout to picking up Noah out of his crib and moving on with the day. I've also noticed a difference on the days I manage a workout I sleep much better and feel less anxious.

Is physical fitness a priority to you? How do you make time for it?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, what a great find! I work full time from home and sometimes the motivation to leave the house and go to the gym just isn't there. I think I can get on board with this though! Plus the yoga classes at my new gym in Florida just aren't as good as the studio I was going to in DC. It was so discouraging. I'm sure that I'll be able to find a teacher that I like on here though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...