Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Happy Place


Whenever I'm feeling down, uninspired, tired, frustrated, preoccupied... I find that seeing art always brings me back to life. I have had a seriously difficult week so its lucky that I live down the street from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I go there often to refresh my state of mind. When I am traveling I do the same. I love stopping off in an art museum and perusing local galleries. One gets a sense of a country's pride and priorities through their art and cultural preservation. I love to see what is important to people through time and in different parts of the world. It makes me feel connected and comforted.



It would be impossible to see the breadth of the Met's collection in one day or even a week. So as with many museums, I go to see one or two exhibits per visit. This time I went straight to some of my favorites: Greek and Roman Antiquities and Impressionists and Modern Paintings and Sculpture. I was in many an Ancient Greek art class in college and I continue to be intrigued by the detail oriented, thoughtful craftsmanship of each piece.



On the way to the Impressionist wing I strolled past these lovely Qing Dynasty vases. I would love to take them home!





I also took a detour on the way to the Impressionists exhibit when I discovered a special photography exhibition, Stieglitz, Steichen, Strand. Their photography exemplifies the early 20th century experiments in the new medium. I am always fascinated by that time period. It's revealing to see what they choose to capture on film and the people are captivating. I was so captivated, in fact, I didn't take any photos of the exhibit, but I recommend you see it if you can!


Once in the Impressionist wing I ran into one of my favorite Rodin sculptures. It epitomizes the sensuous humanity of art that makes me fall in love again and again. Not only is the subject's pose sensual but you can see touch of the artist's hand through the medium as he explored it.


And last but not least, Monet's ever awe inspiring Waterlilies. This particular version was made during WWI and you can see the violence and anxiety he was experiencing through his brushstrokes. This resonated with me as I struggle with my own pain and sorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...