Thursday, April 4, 2013

Exploring Wine: La Crema Pinot Noir


La Crema, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, 2011, $21.99
My rating for this bottle? I would drink a few glasses.

As I've become known amongst family and friends (you, dear readers!) as a wine enthusiast, when I have guests over they love to bring me their favorite bottle of vino to try. They want to share something they love with me and gain my approval of their affections. As with anything taste driven, this can end in a new found favorite to add to my list, or in polite disagreement. I normally don't review wine friends give me on the blog as I don't want to play favorites. In the case of this La Crema Pinot Noir, I've gone against my own rule. 

This is my mom's steadfast, dependable go-to. She buys this Pinot when she's stressed, exhausted, overwhelmed and not interested in searching through the racks. She buys this when she is just looking to buy something she knows will be good. At my liquor store it was a few dollars over the $20 limit for this series, however she said it is under $20 at her grocery store. She brought this as a hostess gift the last time she visited.

When you first open the bottle and poor a glass, it smells like you just stepped into the woods on a dewy morning. It has an earthy wetness to it that is followed by, when sipped, a burst of black cherries. The flavors are subtle and it is light-medium bodied. Once the wine opened up a bit the earthiness gave way to the fruitiness. You could easily drink this by itself while watching [insert guilty pleasure trashy TV here] or with pasta and red sauce, a hearty salad, or some deliciously charred grilled meats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...