Thursday, August 2, 2012

Art to Inspiration: ...now imagine all the strange birdsong as thick as the forest

Lara, Harwood, ...now imagine all the strange birdsong as thick as the forest, 2009

I have this fantasy of going to India. It started with a love of Bollywood movies and Indian food, then Wes Anderson's Darjeeling Limited added fuel to my fire. Not to mention I have a few friends living there who say nothing but good things. August's Art to Inspiration featuring Lara Harwood's watercolor ...now imagine all the strange birdsong as thick as the forest furthered this fantasy. Her playful, melodic line and serene color palate take me to this place in my mind where I can smell the dust and curry in the air. I am shopping for golden trinkets, fabrics, and furniture, exploring religious monuments, temples, and baths, and completely indulging myself in all the gastronomic splendors available. I drink tea in the afternoon and take some time to relax at a luxury hotel with Gman.

But then reality strikes, it's very hot in India (and I've heard deodorant isn't the norm...). There is heartbreaking poverty and some political unrest. Old traditions are vying for relevancy in contemporary markets and the food safety standards aren't quite what I'm used to.  ...now imagine all the strange birdsong as thick as the forest becomes a poetic escape from reality, from the fantasy even. Here, a figure is floating alone, listening quietly to the blanket of noise and music from the flora and fauna of the jungle, which is just out of reach. A relaxing moment, quickly and methodically captured in watercolor, goes by for hours and a second all at once. It changes my fantasy, this is the India I want to experience.


If you would like to participate in Art to Inspiration, click here to read more and sign up.

And just in case you missed it, July's Art to Inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a beautiful writer! I too am a lover of all things Indian. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! That's so kind of you to say! What's your favorite thing about India?

      Delete
  2. What an inspiring piece of writing. I love this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...