Thursday, January 12, 2012

Exploring Wine: Malbec





Layer Cake, Malbec, 2010 $9.99
My rating for this bottle? I would drink a glass

While Gman and I were in Florida for the holidays we went to a wine super store, Total Wine. You've probably heard of it if you live anywhere in the USA. We went there twice in two days to stock up on wine for his parents' and sister's homes after basically cleaning out their supplies (I'm not ashamed). When I first walked into the store I was overwhelmed with the shear size of the place. Aisle after aisle of wine, beer, liquor, and every snack or accessory that could possibly be imagined to accompany alcohol, including fine cigars. 

I controlled myself and didn't get a case, like I did last time I entered a wine mega store (here). But I did have fun looking at almost every single section and choosing new wines to sample for this series. This bottle of malbec was one of my purchases.

I saved this one and drank it on Tuesday for my birthday. Since it had cake in the title I didn't really care if it actually went with cake, which I was eating for dinner. The bouquet and taste had the expected blackberry and tannin components of a malbec. It finished with a strong alcohol flavor though which is a turn off. Sometimes putting it in a decanter or using one of these helps minimize that strong alcohol flavor, but I just drank it up.

The bottle has a twist off cap, which I judge to be inferior for reasons not based on facts or logic. However, I find it convenient for picnics and emergencies, especially if one does not want to carry around a bottle opener on a daily basis.

Overall, it was a decent wine but I wasn't blown away. I would likely have more than one glass if it was the second round of bottles served at a party.

PS: Reviews you might have missed... and the reason I write this

Reds
Montepulciano D'Abruzzo
a bad bottle and a box of wine

Whites
Riesling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...