Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend Recap: Great Falls, VA











Who would have ever thought Gman and I would have almost the same shoes on?

Alright, I'll admit it. Last week was a totally bust. I was exhausted in every way possible and totally lacking inspiration and time to write. I was on the brink of a breakdown and in dire need of down time and some fresh air. It's about this time when Gman usually suggests we go hiking.

Saturday morning, we left D.C. early and drove out to Great Falls Park. The park is only 30 minutes out of town and nestled in the middle of McLean, which is a magical place where wealthy, powerful people live in castles and drive Escalades.

If you plan on going out into nature, I recommend going in the morning. Not only is it less crowded, but it's cooler and there is a better chance of seeing animals (babies!). When we arrived we had the place almost entirely to ourselves.

The main attraction at Great Falls Park is, as you might imagine, the waterfalls. The visitor center is conveniently located next to them, so this is where our escape began - after Gman pried the coffee out of my hand. The rushing noise of the water was soothing to my weary soul and the color of the water and rocks are the same ones I fantasize about decorating my apartment with. I started to breathe deeper.

Most of the hike was effortless, we walked along pre-designated paths some even paved or wooden. However, I did get to try out my climbing skills for some of the rougher bits. Gman was proud of me.

We found a perfect perch overlooking the Potomac. We sat there for a while quietly listening to the rushing river, wind blowing through the leaves (which sounds like a softened wind chime) and looked for chipmunks in the rocks (that's where they like to live and hide).

We lost track of time and my mind was finally blank. I felt relieved and peaceful. Sometimes it seems like the only way to get through the mountain of to-do is to face them straight on. But in this instance, the best thing to do was to take a step back and refresh my mind and spirit. Let's hope this feeling stays with me throughout the week!


2 comments:

  1. I love Great Falls! Though in the fall or spring usually :) Its so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...